Dandruff and flakes are two different things. Flakes are just dry skin—or they can be a symptom of dandruff, which is caused by yeast.
It’s common to have dandruff in your beard. According to the expert in this Men’s Journal article on the topic, beards are prone to dandruff because the sunlight that kills the yeast that causes dandruff doesn’t reach the skin beneath your gloriously dense beard.
How to Get Rid of Flakes and Dandruff in Your Beard
So, what do you do about it? If keeping your beard clean and dry isn’t enough to kill the dandruff-causing yeast in your beard, you’re likely going to have to use a dandruff shampoo on your beard. Yes, regular shampoos are a huge taboo to use on beards, but for this medical condition, you should make an exception, because if you’re itching that bad, it’s worth it.
Go for a tried and true classic like Head and Shoulders. It’s dedicated specifically to kill dandruff which means it will likely work and you probably won’t have to use it that long. If it doesn’t work, though, get on a prescription-strength dandruff shampoo. The reason is you want to cure your yeast as soon as possible not only to stop the itch, but so you can quit using these products on it and go back to your standard beard care routine, which is much healthier for your beard.
- Voted #1 best beard shampoo | Highest rated, best price and highest quality!
- MASCULINE woody scent | Beard shampoo soap bar equal ~ 27 fl oz - 3 liquid bottles! Long lasting - Eco friendly & Travel...
- Organic premium ingredients for anti-itch, beard softener and to promote faster thicker beard growth - found only on...
- A no - fuss solution for the best beard care grooming routine | 100% natural beard wash for beard hair & body | Cleans...
- Stop washing your face & beard with harsh synthetic chemicals sulfates & parabens that stunt beard growth!
If flakes caused by dry skin are your problem instead of dandruff, opt for an anti-itch beard shampoo like Professor Edward J Fuzzworthy’s Gentleman’s Beard Gloss Shampoo, which contains ingredients only found in Tasmania to fight the itching associated with dry skin.
From there, follow up with your usual conditioner, beard oil and balm. When it comes to dry skin, it’s simply about maintaining your skin’s moisture and pH balance, which is what your high-quality beard care products are going to do.