Electric shavers have been sweeping the market for decades now, allowing people around the world to utilize a more convenient option for trimming up their facial hair. The quality of the shaver may be set by brand or by price, and you’ll find that the higher in price you go, the higher in quality and accessories you may get. While this isn’t the case for all products, we’re hoping this guide can help you sift through which electric shaver may be the best for you.
What Makes a Good Electric Shaver?
The best part of an electric shaver is entirely subjective to the user, but in general, you want something that won’t leave you itching or burning with skin irritation. Another great quality of an electric shaver is one that’s portable for those that travel. If you’re someone who’d rather plug in and charge when needed, there are great travel options for you. There’s nothing worse than getting caught up in an inconvenient cord, making you late and looking unkempt for your next international business meeting. If you’re someone who doesn’t want to charge a battery when they use, you’ll most likely want to opt for one with a cord to save time and not worry if it’s charged for when you want to shave your face.
A good electric shaver will be durable and composed of high-quality materials that won’t give out within a few months. We also highly suggest looking towards something that comes with a warranty of at least 6-months.
Now, another aspect you should look at is how dirty the unit gets and how quickly it does get dirty. Is this electric shaver easy to clean? Ones that are more difficult to clean or have cheap blades may not be the best for you. While they may be inexpensive, you’ll be suffering from skin irritation, possible cuts, and even potential rusting. If you’re a business professional that has to look top-notch every single day, you’ll want a product that’s capable of giving you that appearance.
Of course, other things that make a great electric shaver include:
- Extended battery life
- Great manufacturer/customer service
- Durable casing and razors
Let’s take a look at the various types of electric shavers.
The Different Types of Electric Shavers
Besides corded and cordless shavers, there are other types of electric shavers including rotary shavers, foil shavers, and even clippers. Each has their own set of benefits and disadvantages, which allow the device to be great for different people.
Electric Rotary Shavers
This type of electric shaver has multiple heads, usually three or four. If you’re someone that has thicker hair, or someone that grows in hair rather quickly, this may be a great option for you. Those that have coarse hair and rogue hairs that grow in various directions may also find solace in an electric rotary shaver.
An electric rotary shaver works in a way where it lifts your hair away from your face, so it doesn’t get caught and trims it with the rotating heads. The ideal electric shaver is one that is flexible. A user of this will want to move the device in a circular motion while keeping up with their facial hair.
Pros of rotary shavers:
- Great for guys who don’t need to shave every single day
- Has very durable construction, sturdy performance
- Fantastic for thick and coarse hair – which can be typically tough to get through
Cons of rotary shavers:
- Can cause irritation on the skin of those who have finer hair
- Have to get the technique down pat to avoid skin irritation and other problems
- Not great for precision trimming or shaving
Electric Foil Shavers
A device that’s categorized as an electric foil shaver is one that uses a type of foil layer to cover the blades. These blades are typically oscillating and have multiple purposes. The first purpose is to ensure that the hair is lifted away from the skin, granting the device a cleaner shave. The other purpose of an electric foil shaver is to limit the amount of contact the skin and the blade have during the shaving experience. In having these features, your face won’t suffer from skin irritation nearly as much as if you were using a standard rotary electric shaver.
Like their rotary counterparts, foil shavers also come with three or four-blade styles. Furthermore, a device with four blades will ultimately give you a quicker and a closer shave than those with three. If you’re someone who wants something fast and great, a four-blade electric foil shaver is your best bet. Unlike a rotary shaver, you’ll want to move this unit in a straight line, instead of circular motions.
Pros of foil shavers:
- You can get a much closer shave than with a rotary shaver
- You won’t suffer from skin irritation nearly as much – if ever
- You’ll be able to perform more precise shaves
Cons of foil shavers:
- Those that like to move in circular motions will not like using this style of shaver
- Contouring the shape of your beard may be tough with an electric foil shaver (those that have angular faces might want to steer clear of this type of shaver)
Beard Trimmers and Clippers
The standard beard trimmer, as well as clippers, have been used in households since the creation of this type of device. They are inexpensive, do the job and can be stored easily. If you’re someone who likes a more rugged appearance, a clipper or a beard trimmer is a fantastic option for you. For that movie star stubble, barber-styled beard trimmers are a suitable and inexpensive option; however, if you want a business-like or smooth model-like trim, you may want something a bit more tailored to you.
A beard trimmer or clipper work the same way, where there will be serrated blades buzzing from one side to the other, using a standard sideways motion in order to trim the hair. You don’t have to perform any circular movement to use this device, just a simple straight line will suffice.
Pros of beard trimmers and clippers:
- You can use this type of device on both the head and the face (and even other places)
- Great for keeping that sexy stubble look
- You can save time and clip every so often (few days here and there)
Cons of beard trimmers and clippers:
- Not the softest on skin – if you’re careless, your skin will become irritated quite quickly
- Not the greatest for a smooth finish
- Will not suit everyone’s preferences and lifestyle
Best Electric Shaver 2018
We’ll be going over 9 of the best electric shavers on the market, and we’ll be sectioning them off depending on what you need.
Best Braun Electric Shaver
Braun is a fantastic brand that has come out with some of the most valuable electric shavers on the market. This one in particular, the Braun Series 7 790CC Men’s Electric Foil Shaver is definitely one for the taking. If you’re serious about your shave and are willing to spend a little money on it, you’ll most definitely want to check out this cordless foil shaver.
- Intelligent Sonic technology automatically increases power while shaving in difficult areas and on denser hair
This Braun series is one that comes with synchronized shaving elements to ensure that you’ll be able to do what you want in only one stroke – instead of two that others promise. Proving to leave a 3-day beard, the IPI Research Institute has tested this theory of how well it shaves and shapes your beard. Through the innovative Sonic technology, you’ll be able to trim even the peskiest of hair thanks to the 10,000 micro-vibrations that this device is capable of putting out. The ActiveLift trimmer ensures that the hairs that like to lay flat and hide from you are going to be swept away.
There’s also an auto-sensoring motor that allows you to get a close shave and obtain it efficiently. There are five various turbo and sensitive modes for those that like precision, but for those that have skin that’s not so durable. With the Braun Series 7 790CC, you’ll be making use of the four shaving elements that feature 3 cutting elements, and even a type of skin guard that ensures you can get it all within one stroke. Save on time and get that beard looking great!
Best Philips Electric Shaver
There are tons of fabulous Philip’s electric shavers on the market, but none take the cake like the Norelco Electric Shaver 8900. Featuring a system that allows the user to shave we tor dry, you won’t have to pay an arm and a leg for a durable, powerful 3 head system. During one swipe, your facial hair will feel each head move in 8 different directions, allowing it to cut way more hair than you’d think. An ergonomic design that’s durable, as well as comfortable, means that you can shave whenever you need to without dreading the process.
- The Philips Norelco shaver 8900 is designed to contour to the curves of your face and cut closer to the skin; Experience...
- Unique contour detect technology follows the curves of your face to cut up to 20 percent more hair in a single pass; The...
- The smart click beard styler is designed to prevent skin irritation with its rounded tips and comb and include 5 built...
- Shave wherever and however you'd like; Enjoy a convenient dry shave or a comfortable wet shave with gel or foam, or even...
- The rechargeable Lithium ion battery delivers the power of a corded shaver without the hassle of a cord; 50 minutes of...
The wet and dry aquatic technology means that you can use either dry shaving or wet materials to soothe your face. You’ll also see that your shave will be 30% closer to your face than other products are capable of offering. There are five different length settings, and an enormous amount of flexibility while using this product.
The v-track unit on this device means that you can get a much closer shave without irritating your skin or risking cutting your skin. The 8 different directions each head moves in ensures that the electric shaver can get close and contour the shape of your face. The hair collection method means that those with sensitive skin can enjoy a nice shave without compromising their comfort and harming their skin. There’s nothing worse than post-shave burning or itching, and you won’t have to deal with that when using this unit.
Next in this article is the Remington brand. After searching, we found that the Remington F5-5800 foil shaver is a fantastic electric shaver that can be used for both corded or cordless use. Great for those that like traveling, as well as those that like staying home, you’ll be able to quickly trim or perform something a bit longer for those that like precision and taking their time. For those that like the cordless option, you’ll be able to run on 60-minutes straight of cordless run time, and you can go up to 20 days between charging if you don’t use up to 60 minutes.
- Pivot and Flex Foil Technology Stays close to skin for smooth results
- Rechargeable battery 60 minutes of cordless runtime.To clean the external surfaces of the shaver, use a damp cloth
- Pop up Detail Trimmer For finishing touches on your facial hair and sideburns.Do not use strong detergents or other...
- Easy to Clean Washable under the faucet; Charging time 2 hours; Voltage: Worldwide
A great part about this unit is you don’t have to bend over backwards to get this device clean. In fact, you can simply clean it under the faucet, as the manufacturer states. The charging time is also only two hours, and you’ll be able to pivot and flex with ease. As for the flexibility of this shaver, you can maintain a close trim around the neck, chin, and jawline with ease thanks to the design of this device.
Before we jump into the advantages and disadvantages, you should know about the intercept shaving technology that’s in the design of this electric shaver. This technology is meant to pre-trim longer hairs and makes sure your shave is going to be as best as possible.
Best Panasonic Electric Shaver
Panasonic has been known to create great electronics for decades now, and they’ve even dabbled into the world of electric shavers. We think that the best one is the Panasonic ES8103S Arc3 Men’s Electric Shaver.
- Sharp men’s shaver blades: Panasonic arc3 men's electric shaver with 3 ultra-sharp nanotech blades and ultra-thin arc...
- Wet/dry electric shaver and trimmer 2 in 1: Build-in pop up trimmer details mustaches, beards and sideburns; Wet/dry...
- Flexible pivoting head: Panasonic flexible pivoting electric shaver head glides effortlessly to trace the individual...
- High performance motor with a linear drive: This Panasonic shaver is equipped with a linear motor which delivers 13,000...
- LCD battery indicator and sonic cleaning: The shaver’s 10 stage Lcd shows battery status at a glance, and sonic...
Not only will you get to reap the benefits of a flexible head that pivots and ensures comfort and precision when shaving, but you’ll also be able to use the ultra-sharp Nanotech blades and not worry about a dull shave. Noted as “ultra-thin”, the Arc foil allows you to quickly trim your beard hair while giving a comfortable shave. You don’t have to stop at your face, either, as this is capable of comfortably shaving your neck, and even the jaw line, just like in that Arc3 commercial:
Featuring a high-performance motor that can drive in over 13,000 cuts per minute, you’ll be able to use optimal power behind each shave you make – allowing you to look like a superstar each time. Peak power, consistent shaves, and even a built-in pop-up trimmer for those areas that need a bit more precision and care in their trim, you’ll be able to get the look you’ve been wanting without having to trust someone else with your face.
Best Wet and Dry Electric Shaver
Now that we’ve showed you a plethora of brands that have fantastic electric shavers, let’s get a bit more specific with the needs. There are some people that need a dry-only shaver, or some that require wet or else their skin goes nuts. Thankfully, we have a solution for you. We think the best wet and dry electric shaver is the Philips Norelco Special Edition Star Wars Poe Wet and Dry Electric Shaver. Not only can you sport a fantastic franchise, while utilizing a great shaving brand, you’ll be able to use a precision trimmer, turbo mode on this device, as well as the option for both wet or dry.
- Shave faster. Get a 20% extra power boost in Turbo+ mode for a close, fast shave– even on dense areas of your beard...
- V-Track Precision PRO has 72 self-sharpening blades for superior closeness with less pulling
- Each shaving head moves in 8 directions for an extremely close result. Run time- 60 min / 20 shaves
- Includes click-on precision trimmer for mustache and sideburns
- Get a convenient, dry shave or a more comfortable and refreshing wet shave with gel or foam
In comparison with others on the market, it’s not priced too bad, and boasts many features. Some of these include 20% extra power for a better and faster shave. Thanks to the turbo mode and fast shaving over a more dense area, you’ll be able to utilize this if you have a thicker beard that goes rogue. Even if you have thinner hair, there are other settings you can utilize on this trimmer that’ll make your life a lot easier.
The v-track precision Pro even features 72 self-sharpening blades for optimal ease of use and even superior closeness. You won’t have to worry about nagging and pulling, either! The click-on precision trimmer is best for those with sideburns or mustaches that have to be trimmed.
Best Electric Shaver for Women
We’ve covered a lot of ground for men, and it’s time to make room for a shaving device for the female in your life (or for yourself!) We think that the best electric shaver for women is the Panasonic ES2207P electric shaver. It features a 3-blade cordless electric razor, and even a pop-up trimmer for optimal convenience. You’re also able to use this wet or dry for the best experience possible. The price is unbeatable, and with that many reviews, we’d say that the final verdict is a YES!
- Sharp shaving blades: Panasonic close curves women's electric shaver with 3 ultra-sharp blades and ultra-thin foil...
- Flexible pivoting heads electric shaver and trimmer 2 in 1: 3 independently floating flexible pivoting heads glide...
- Wet/dry shaving convenience: Wet/dry waterproof shaver allows for convenient shaving in or out of the shower. Safely...
- Hypoallergenic stainless steel blades: High quality, hypoallergenic stainless steel blades and foils are especially...
- Cleans in seconds: 100 percentage washable shaver cleans in seconds under running water; Rechargeable battery charges in...
There’s a three floating head system that operate independently for the best smooth shave, and is great even if you’re trimming. Designed for the best glide over skin (even sensitive skin), you won’t suffer from tough irritation after using this device.
Best Electric Shaver for Sensitive Skin
It’s no secret that half of the people who shave suffer from sort of skin sensitivity issue. That’s why we’ve done a bit of research to show you which is the best for sensitive skin. Coming from the Braun brand, this Series 3 ProSkin 3010 Men’s Electric Foil Shaver is a rechargeable razor device and is best for both wet and dry applications – it doesn’t discriminate!
- 3 pressure-sensitive shaving elements for efficiency and skin comfort
- Specialized micro comb captures more hair in each stroke* versus Braun Series 3. Tested on 3 day beard
- 2 rechargeable long-life NiMH batteries
- Wet&dry shaver for use with water, foam or gel
- Contents: Braun Series 3 ProSkin razor, protective cap, cleaning brush, smart plug for Automatic 100-240 voltage...
Because of the wet and dry option, it’s fabulous for those that need a bit of attention for their sensitive skin.
To make sure hair is trimmed after each stroke, there’s a micro comb to ensure that it won’t catch and nag, while giving you a fantastic shave. Furthermore, there’s 5 pressure-sensitive elements for the highest comfort and most efficiency while shaving. There are also 4 rechargeable NiMh batteries included, as well as a voltage adjustment piece.
Best Electric Shaver for Shaving the Head
While the face gets most of the attention, let’s not forget that the head exists and sometimes needs to be precisely shaved, too. In that case, we think that the Five Floating Head Shaver with Pop-Up Trimmer from LEDTEEM is one of the better options for head shaving. The flexibility and precision of the included five heads, as well as the feature of a pop-up trimmer will allow you to get into all of the nooks and crannies.
- TWO KINDS OF CHARGING MODE:The shaver can be charged by direct charger plug or by the charging stand.Up to about 50...
- WET AND DRY/ WATERPROOF: The cutting head can be removed easily and washed by water which allows you to use the electric...
- POP-UP TRIMMER:Skin-friendly pop-up beard trimmer details easily sideburns, moustache and any facial hairstyle
- SMOOTH & CLOSE SHAVE:With floating heads, the 5D rotary shaver automatically adapts to the contours of the face, neck...
This unit is wet and dry, as well as waterproof with a pop-up trimmer that need to get into those more precise areas like a mustache or sideburns. This is a great option if you have sensitive skin, and also features multiple charging modes depending on when you need it and how quick you want it charged.
The Most Expensive Electric Shaver in the World
We’ve given you a lot of fantastic options – some that are either inexpensive or some that may tip the scale and potentially burn a hole through your pocket. The most expensive electric shaver in the world is the Panasonic ES-LV9N-s with nano technology and is rechargeable, featuring a vortex cleaning system. A device that’s hundreds of dollars, you’re probably hoping there are a ton of features behind it.
A linear motor that is the fastest in the entire electric shaver industry, you’ll be reaping the benefits of 13,000 RPM. The long-lasting cartridge ensures that the cleaning is superior, and that your blade will be well-lubricated. Unlike other models on the market, there’s a water infused solution that’s hygienic, and ensures that your stubble and debris will be cleaned from the device with ease, while making sure that the blades are fresh and won’t irritate your sin.
Are Electric Shavers Better than Razors?
In short, the answer is: yes! Electric shavers are most definitely better than your standard razor. This is due to the fact that electric shavers are more versatile and tend to have higher-quality features (like blades) than the standard razor. Not only does shaving with an electric shaver potentially diminish the ability to get a nick or a cut, but you’ll also be able to accurately and evenly shave all areas of your face. With a standard razor that you manually operate, you may get an uneven shave across your face and have to shave the entire thing!
Furthermore, there are some electric shavers that clean the blades and clean out the debris from within, while manual razors can leave you with a mess.
How to Clean Your Electric Shaver
The cleaning method may be entirely dependent on the brand and the type of razor that you’ve purchased, but generally, you’ll want to follow the forthcoming steps:
- Turn off your unit and make sure that it’s unplugged
- You’ll then want to remove the cutting head – lift it up off of the device (always be sure to read your manual beforehand to ensure that you’re not voiding anything and that you’re doing it properly)
- Take a small brush and make sure you loosen and remove the loosened hair. If you’re unaware or have a small kit that came with your shaver, you’ll want to know that most come with a cleaning brush
- Dismantle the other parts that are capable of being removed (again – look at your manual to ensure that you’re not taking any parts off that should be staying on)
- Using hot water and a small amount of soap, along with your brush, make sure you clean all parts of the device. There’s also special fluid you can buy to replace the liquid soap and hot water.
- Rinse the parts separately under the hot water.
- Hand-dry via a towel, and then leave out to air dry.
- Reassemble the electric shaver and voila!
- Lubricate the device is possible.
Another way to clean your electric shaver:
There are some that come with automatic cleaners and lubricants – it all depends on your budget and if you’re willing to put a little in to save a bit of money.
How to Use an Electric Shaver Efficiently
We’ll keep this brief since there’s already a ton of information jam-packed in here for you.
Make sure you choose the best razor for your needs, and then follow up by washing your face with a gentle product that won’t irritate your face. In doing so, you can soften up the beard – but make sure you have a wet/dry shaver to do so! Your pre-shave should be alcohol based unless otherwise known/stated. Some of the ingredients you’ll find in your product include vitamin E for minimal irritation. Go “with the grain” of your facial hair – find this by feeling your face and feeling which direction your facial hair is growing in. This direction is the way your hair feels “smooth” when you stroke your beard.
Next, you’ll want to shave with a proper technique. This could be a straight line or small circular motions; however, depending on what shaver you have, you might only be able to do straight lines or circular motions. Not all razors allow you to go multiple directions.
Tips for shaving:
- Make sure you hold the electric shaver in the more dominant hand
- Use the other hand to pull the skin up so that you receive a close shave
- Start with your cheeks and then work your way up to the sideburns to gauge how it needs to look
We hope this information has been proven helpful for you and that you get the best shave possible!