Trimming your hair is an inevitable task, no matter what gender you are. If you’re someone who wants to skip out on going to the barbershop, and want to be able to trim up at home, finding the best hair trimmer for your needs is essential. In this article, you’ll find the benefits of buying a hair trimmer (beyond being able to trim your own hair), the factors you should consider before buying said hair trimmer, as well as tips for choosing the best hair trimmer for your needs.
Tips to Know Before Choosing the Best Hair Trimmer for Your Needs
Before we head off and show you the best of the best when it comes to hair trimmers, you should know a few more things. A few tips we have include the following questions that you should ask yourself:
- What level of experience do you have? Maybe you’re someone who knows what they’re doing. If this is the case, you may want to invest in something a little more high-quality, so you may dabble in something that will have longevity over cheaper competitors, as well as being able to perform in an optimal fashion.
- What accessories do you have in mind? If you’ve done your research and you know what accessories you may be looking for, you’ll want to make a note of this, as you’ll want to make sure the accessories fit your potential hair trimmer. Accessories to think about include comb guides, blades, storage pieces, additional attachments, and more. You should also research more about how to tell the quality of the blades. You should always opt for a hair trimmer that matches the size of combs you require.
- Are you trimming your hair yourself? Feeling bold and independent? If this is the case, you may want to invest in a lighter pair of trimmers, so you won’t have to worry about using something too heavy that may cause carpal tunnel. Ease of use, comfortability (maybe even ergonomic) and versatility are all factors you should consider before purchasing.
- Do you want to trim in the shower? – It’s worth knowing that not all trimmers are waterproof, and if you’re going to be using in the shower or in the bathroom in general, make sure you have a type of trimmer that can handle what you’re putting it through. Since waterproof are more useful, and prevent you shocking yourself, you should consider it.
- Are you someone who travels often? – Knowing whether or not you wanted a corded device is essential, as you’ll want to think about the battery charge. Some batteries are better than others at holding a charge, and if you’re someone who doesn’t leave your house often to trim, you may just want to invest in a corded device.
If you have thicker hair, you may want to consider a clipper, rather than a trimmer. Coarse and thick beard hair, or hair on your head my not take well to a trimmer, as the blades are made finer for thinner hair. You should also define the purpose you’re using the trimmer for. Sure, we know you’re going to be using it to trim your hair, but what kind of hair, and what part on the body is this hair located? There are different models of trimmers that are meant for different areas, allowing you to keep the delicate skin safe, and to prevent sensitivity.
Top 6 Best Hair Trimmer of 2018
I am happily bringing you a review of the 6 best hair trimmers I have come across. The style, price and ease of use will all vary. I will be glad to provide you with my personal recommendation in the end.
First on our list is a product from Pure Enrichment. They bring us the TRYM II, rechargeable modern hair clipper kit that is capable of trimming and clipping sleek hair, mustache, body and beard hair. Other specifications of this device include the following:
- Sleek design, features a base dock
- AC adapter included, great for both beard and body hair
- Multiple trimming attachments included
- Safe and ergonomic design
Trim any part of your body that you want, from thicker and coarse hair to fine body hair using one of the four attachments that come with that range in various sizes. Beyond this, the complete grooming kit comes with oil, cleaning brush, adapter, attachments, and much more. Continue reading to learn specifics about these included accessories.
- This sleek unit has 4 trimming attachments. Oil for the blade, a cleaning brush, a power adapter, and eve a charger base
- Can be plugged in or used cordless
- Different trimming attachments are of sizes 9mm, 1.5mm, 3mm and 6mm
- Will never snag or pull on hair
- Capable of trimming pubic hair
- Design is much different from traditional models, may not be comfortable for everyone, but design is ergonomic
- Battery can lose charge easily after a while
Next on our list is another Philips Norelco model, this time, it’s the QG3364/49. Boasting portability and many accessories included for a great price, this model includes the following specifications:
- 7 tools within this unit for an all-in-one experience
- Chromium steel self-sharpening blades
- 18 built-in settings for ultimate versatility in length
There’s nothing better than being able to purchase a unit that has a ton of features, as well as built-in features for a ton of lengths – all for a great price. The blades within this device are shelf-sharpening, as well, for optimal ease of use.
- Turbo power features allow you to get through thick hair with ease, unlike many trimmers on the market
- Self-sharpening blades and blade tips that are rounded encourage prevention of skin irritation
- Cordless unit that’s adaptable for usage around the world (different power settings)
- Built-in length settings for a variety of different trim styles (18 to be exact!)
This unit is unfortunately not corded, so if you’re looking for something that you can “plug and play” without charge, unfortunately, this is not it; however, this provides great power for thicker hair.
Next on our list is a product from Philips Norelco. This multi-groom 5000 device boasts a ton of features while giving a ton of advantages. Let’s take a closer look at some of the features:
- All-in-one trimmer
- 18 attachments included
- Maximum precision w/ DualCut technology, 2x more blades
- Self-sharpening blades
Make good use of this device and the 18 attachments included. You’ll be able to use this on the go or in your home with its cordless and corded capabilities.
- Make the most out of your device by using one that offers self-sharpening capabilities.
- Lithium battery for cordless runtime, can also be plugged in for maximum power and versatility
- Maximum power and torque, full metal motor included
- If you don’t need 18 attachments and feel as if it’s overkill, then you’ll want to go for something else, but we will say that this unit is extremely inexpensive for what you get!
Next on our list is a product from Andis, a manufacturer that has given us the model GTO (04710). There are quite a few benefits of this product include:
- Comes pre-oiled from the factory
- Testing using a string theory that ensures sharpness of blade
- Great for dry shaving
- Comes in well-designed housing structure for the high-speed motor
If you want something durable that’s going to be well-designed for longevity in usage, you’ll want to invest in this comfortable to grip hair trimmer.
- Tested with a string for ability to cut with ease, you won’t have to worry about a dull blade being sent to you
- Adjustable blades for a personalized experience
- Best used for dry shaving, which can further promote a comfortable post-shave experience (no flaking or irritation when used properly)
- Comes oiled directly from the factory, ready to use upon receiving
- Well-designed housing for the powerful, high-speed motor
- The T-Outliner doesn’t come cordless, but you don’t have to worry about charging batteries
- You also have to oil the blades before every usage, which can be a bit time consuming or annoying
Last on our list is a color-coded, easy to use and versatile clipper/trimmer from Wahl. Features of the Wahl Color Pro include the following:
- Cordless and wired capabilities
- Can be used internationally – perfect for travelers
- Rechargeable with ease
- Super easy color-coded system for knowing specific hair lengths
If you want something that will allow you to get the perfect length of hair every time, the color-coded accessories will help you do so. Never get a trim or shave too close or too long again, and waste no more time! With removable and rinseable blades, efficiency should be the true name of this unit.
- Can be cordless and wireless – great for those that stay at home or travel
- Color-coded accessories and device, learn the perfect length & stick with it
- Great for usage for both men and women
- It’s not totally quiet, but it is quieter than most – so if you’re looking for something totally silent, you’ll have to look elsewhere
First on our list is a product that’s manufactured by Wahl. Boasting a number of attractive features, this kit will make the newest of trimmers into seasoned pros. Features of this trimmer include:
- Durable and powerful motor – superior performance for a lifetime
- Self-sharpening precision blades
- Stainless-steel clip guide combs
- Smoothest cut, great for mustaches and beards, as well!
If you’re in the market for something that provides a great and smooth cut, then you may want to check out this elite pro high-performance haircut kit from Wahl. Boasting self-sharpening blades and superior longevity in the motor and the blades, you won’t have to worry about the most pivotal aspects of this device.
- This product comes with self-sharpening blades
- No need to recharge any batteries, as this unit is corded
- Clip guide combs that are stainless-steel and durable
- Smooth and efficient cut
- For those traveling and want something compact, this unit doesn’t have any cordless capabilities, but on the plus – you don’t need to recharge any batteries
- Not great for thick hair, as it pulls the hair, but trimmers generally aren’t
- Needs replacement guide for better usage (especially for newbies)
If you’re overwhelmed by the amount of information you’ve received, don’t worry – we’ve got a recommendation for you that’s inexpensive and a top choice. We think that the Wahl Clipper Elite High-Performance trimmer is one of the most affordable (and useful) tools on the market. Boasting superior performance that lasts a lifetime, there are precision blades that will give you the best trim possible. You won’t have to worry about dull blades anytime soon.
The Benefits of Buying a Hair Trimmer
You may be wondering why you just can’t use scissors, and you can, but there are benefits to using the best hair trimmer over other tools. Firstly, you should know the differences between a trimmer versus a hair clipper. While they are similar in design and their purpose, it’s worth noting that a clipper is meant to cut longer hair, while a trimmer is meant to trim shorter hair.
Of course, each has their own set of different attachments. If you have fine hair, then a hair trimmer is also a great option for you, since the blades are thinner. When you use thinner blades, you’re able to trim the hair on your head or beard much easier. Trying to cut thick hair with a trimmer is like trying to use a pair of craft scissors to cut through a mattress.
While trimmers are able to cut closely, some may want to use a shaver over a trimmer, and some may not need to or see the purpose of doing so. There are a ton of benefits to using a hair trimmer versus other tools, and we’ll dive into that now.
Trimmers are generally versatile in usage when they’re used in a proper manner. You no longer have to use a shaver when you have a trimmer since they’re capable of getting a close enough shave due to their thin blades. Hair clippers are also a tad too clunky to style the beard or short hair, whereas trimmers can accomplish such a task. Trimmers also tend to come with hypoallergenic blades, which are great for those with sensitive skin.
Other benefits of using a hair trimmer include the following:
- Easy to transport
- Remain kempt on business trips
- Generally inexpensive
- Save on trips to the barber
Factors to Consider Before Buying a Hair Trimmer
Before you go off buying any old trimmer, you should look into a number of key features and factors. First and foremost, you want to make sure the motor or trimmer itself is quite powerful. Without quality power, you’re not going to get a quality trim. Beyond this, you’ll want to consider portability, as those who travel often will want to decide if they want a cordless trimmer or not.
Other features you should look into include the following:
Durable comb guides – If you’ve tried various models of trimmers and clippers before, then you know how important durable comb guides are. If you continue to use fragile ones that snap quickly, you may notice the quality of your trim will be of equal quality (or lack thereof). You should also look into the maintenance of the device, as you’ll want to know if your trimmer is going to be more work than it’s worth. Make sure to always rinse after you use to extend the longevity of the lifespan.
Storage systems – Maybe you’re a traveler, and are looking for one that’s not only cordless, but one that comes with a carrying case or storage case of sorts. If this is the case, you’ll want to look around for the best product with various accessories that are within your budget. While trimmers generally aren’t too expensive, those that come with more accessories may be worth the purchase, as bulk sets tend to be a bit cheaper than buying all of the accessories outright.
Safety features – Just because you’re careful, doesn’t mean that the device will be perfect 100% of the time. Because of this, you’ll want to find a safe product that will have safety features in order to prevent those little cuts and nicks that sometimes happen when we shave. If you find a trimmer that’s specifically for ear hair and nose hair, there are generally cones for safety that are designed to move blades away from delicate areas.